Notice: Undefined variable: author in /var/www/quotesby.net/public_html/author.php on line 7
Notice: Undefined variable: file in /var/www/quotesby.net/public_html/author.php on line 38
Read about file extension history in file extension history DB.
- His resolve is not to seem, but to be, the best.
- I would far rather be ignorant than knowledgeable of evil.
- 'Reverence for parents' stands written among the three laws of most revered righteousness.
- Innumerable twinkling of the waves of the sea.
- For somehow this is tyranny's disease, to trust no friends.
- Variant:In every tyrant's heart there springs in the end this poison, that he cannot trust a friend.
- Words are the physicians of a mind diseased.
- For it would be better to die once and for all than to suffer pain for all one's life.
- Time waxing old can many a lesson teach.
- God's mouth knows not how to speak falsehood, but he brings to pass every word.
- On me the tempest falls. It does not make me tremble. O holy Mother Earth, O air and sun, behold me. I am wronged.
- I pray the gods will give me some relief And end this weary job. One long full year I've been lying here, on this rooftop, The palace of the sons of Atreus, Resting on my arms, just like a dog. I've come to know the night sky, every star, The powers we see glittering in the sky, Bringing winter and summer to us all, As the constellations rise and sink.
- A great ox stands on my tongue.
- Wisdom comes through suffering. Trouble, with its memories of pain, Drips in our hearts as we try to sleep, So men against their will Learn to practice moderation. Favours come to us from gods.
- She [Helen] brought to Ilium her dowry, destruction.
- It is in the character of very few men to honor without envy a friend who has prospered.
- Only when man's life comes to its end in prosperity can one call that man happy.
- Oh me, I have been struck a mortal blow right inside.
- Death is better, a milder fate than tyranny.
- Zeus, first cause, prime mover; for what thing without Zeus is done among mortals?
- I know how men in exile feed on dreams of hope.
- Good fortune is a god among men, and more than a god.
- Destiny waits alike for the free man as well as for him enslaved by another's might.
- For a deadly blow let him pay with a deadly blow; it is for him who has done a deed to suffer.
- What is pleasanter than the tie of host and guest?
- Appearances are a glimpse of the unseen.
- Every ruler is harsh whose laws is new.
- God is not averse to deceit in a holy cause.
- God loves to help him who strives to help himself.
- Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times.
- He who goes unenvied shall not be admired.
- I think the slain care little if they sleep or rise again.
- In war, truth is the first casualty.
- It is a profitable thing, if one is wise, to seem foolish.
- It is always in season for old men to learn.
- It is easy when we are in prosperity to give advice to the afflicted.
- It is not the oath that makes us believe the man, but the man the oath.
- It is the nature of mortals to kick a fallen man.
- Necessity is stronger far than art.
- So, in the Libyan fable it is told That once an eagle, stricken with a dart, Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft, 'With our own feathers, not by others' hand Are we now smitten.'
- The meaning I picked, the one that changed my life: Overcome fear, behold wonder.
- The reward of suffering is experience.
- The wisest of the wise may err.
- There are times when fear is good. It must keep its watchful place at the heart's controls.
- There is no sickness worse for me than words that to be kind must lie.
- To be fortunate is God, and more than God to mortals.
- To be free from evil thoughts is God's best gift.
- When a match has equal partners then I fear not.
- Who, except the gods, can live time through forever without any pain?
- Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On |
Notice: Undefined variable: daymonth_birthdate in /var/www/quotesby.net/public_html/author.php on line 136
|Who Also Died On |
Notice: Undefined variable: daymonth_deathdate in /var/www/quotesby.net/public_html/author.php on line 136
Copyright © www.quotesby.net