huey p. long Quotes
Huey P. Long Quotes
Read how to open files in File Open Database.
- 'I wonder why he shot me,'
- 'If fascism ever comes to America, it will come wrapped in an American flag.'
- 'Of course we will have fascism in America but we will call it democracy!'
- 'Someday Louisiana's gonna get good government and they're not gonna like it.
- 'Every man a king, but no one wears a crown.'
- 'People say I steal. Well, all politicians steal. I steal. But a lot of what I stole has spilled over in no-toll bridges, hospitals . . . and to build this university.' -- speech at Louisiana State University
- 'There is no rule so sure as that one that the same mill that grinds out fortunes above a certain size at the top, grinds out paupers at the bottom.' -- speech in U.S. Senate April 4, 1932
- 'The only difference I ever found between the Democratic leadership and the Republican leadership is that one of them is skinning you from the ankle up and the other, from the ear down.'
- 'Hard work is damn near as overrated as monogamy.'
- 'I can frighten or buy ninety-nine out of every one hundred men.'
- 'Sure I carry a gun. Sometimes I carry four. Can't tell when somebody's going to shoot the King.'
- 'I would describe a demagogue as a politician who don't keep his promises. On that basis, I'm the first man to have power in Louisiana who ain't a demagogue. I kept every promise I ever made to the people of Louisiana. None of these exes and belly-achers that have been fighting me down there ever kept his promises when he was in office. It was an unheard of thing in Louisiana until Huey P. Long got in.'
- Regarding the imperial wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, 'Quote me as saying that that Imperial bastard will never set foot in Louisiana, and that when I call him a sonofabitch I am not using profanity, but am referring to the circumstances of his birth.'
- To Governor Oscar K. Allen: 'Goddamn you Oscar, don't you stall around with me! I can break you as easily as I made you!'
- 'I'm for the poor man - all poor men, black and white, they all gotta have a chance.'
- 'Don't say I'm working for niggers. I'm not : 'Every Man a King' means every man, niggers along with the rest, but not especially for niggers.'
- 'There is no dictatorship in Louisiana. There is a perfect democracy there, and when you have a perfect democracy it is pretty hard to tell it from a dictatorship.'
- After rejecting a naval appropriations bill in the Senate: 'I would prefer to vote this billion dollars to feed the starving rather than for more battleships to kill somebody.'
- Criticizing the limitations of Roosevelt's New Deal: 'Not a single thin dime of concentrated, bloated, pompous wealth, massed in the hands of a few people, has been raked down to relieve the masses.'
- In response to being compared to Adolf Hitler: 'Don't liken me to that sonofabitch. Anybody that lets his public policies be mixed up with religious prejudice is a plain God-damned fool!'
- Long often compared the Democratic and Republican parties to 'High Popalorum and Low Popahirum,' two patent medicines with different labels but identical ingredients.
- Strictures, reproaches, and intemperate speeches from the Senator of Louisiana are really the wailings of an apostle of despair; he has lost control of himself, he is trying to play billiards with elliptical billiard balls and a spiral cue. - Henry Fountain Ashurst
huey p. long
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On ||Who Also Died On |
Copyright © www.quotesby.net