james weldon johnson Quotes
James Weldon Johnson Quotes
Discover how to find info about file extension apk with articles and other interesting information.
- Lift every voice and sing Till earth and heaven ring, Ring with the harmonies of Liberty. Let our rejoicing rise high as the listening skies; Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
- We have come over a way that with tears has been watered, We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered.
- The colored people of this country know and understand the white people better than the white people know and understand them.
- Every race and every nation should be judged by the best it has been able to produce, not by the worst.
- The glory of the day was in her face, The beauty of the night was in her eyes.
- It is from the blues that all that may be called American music derives its most distinctive characteristic.
- How would you have us, as we are? Or sinking 'neath the load we bear? Our eyes fixed forward on a star? Or gazing empty at despair?
- O black and unknown bards of long ago, How came your lips to touch the sacred fire? How, in your darkness, did you come to know The power and beauty of the minstrels' lyre?
- Whose starward eye Saw chariot 'swing low'? And who was he That breathed that comforting, melodic sigh, 'Nobody knows de trouble I see'?
- You sang far better than you knew; the songs That for your listeners' hungry hearts sufficed Still live,-but more than this to you belongs: You sang a race from wood and stone to Christ.
- Father, Father Abraham, To-day look on us from above; On us, the offspring of thy faith, The children of thy Christ-like love.
- I am a thing not new, I am as old As human nature. I am that which lurks, Ready to spring whenever a bar is loosed; The ancient trait which fights incessantly Against restraint, balks at the upward climb; The weight forever seeking to obey The law of downward pull;-and I am more: The bitter fruit am I of planted seed; The resultant, the inevitable end Of evil forces and the powers of wrong.
- Eternities before the first-born day, Or ere the first sun fledged his wings of flame, Calm Night, the everlasting and the same, A brooding mother over chaos lay.
- The glory of the day was in her face, The beauty of the night was in her eyes. And over all her loveliness, the grace Of Morning blushing in the early skies.
- And Satan smiled, stretched out his hand, and said,- 'O War, of all the scourges of humanity, I crown you chief.'
- Some men enjoy the constant strife Of days with work and worry rife, But that is not my dream of life: I think such men are crazy. For me, a life with worries few, A job of nothing much to do, Just pelf enough to see me through: I fear that I am lazy.
- And God stepped out on space, And He looked around and said, 'I'm lonely- I'll make me a world.'
- So God stepped over to the edge of the world And He spat out the seven seas; He batted His eyes, and the lightnings flashed; He clapped His hands, and the thunders rolled; And the waters above the earth came down, The cooling waters came down.
- And God smiled again, And the rainbow appeared, And curled itself around his shoulder.
- With his head in his hands, God thought and thought, Till he thought: I'll make me a man!
- This Great God, Like a mammy bending over her baby, Kneeled down in the dust Toiling over a lump of clay Till He shaped it in His own image.
- Find Sister Caroline... And she's tired- She's weary- Go down, Death, and bring her to me.
- Young man-Young man-Your arm's too short to box with God.
james weldon johnson
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On ||Who Also Died On |
Copyright © www.quotesby.net