Notice: Undefined variable: author in /var/www/quotesby.net/public_html/author.php on line 7
walter de la mare Quotes
Notice: Undefined variable: file in /var/www/quotesby.net/public_html/author.php on line 38
Walter de la Mare Quotes
Read about file extension history in file extension history DB.
- Slowly, silently, now the moon Walks the night in her silver shoon.
- A harvest mouse goes scampering by, With silver claws and silver eye; And moveless fish in the water gleam, By silver reeds in a silver stream.
- Here lies a most beautiful lady, Light of step and heart was she; I think she was the most beautiful lady That ever was in the West Country.
- But beauty vanishes; beauty passes; However rare-rare it be; And when I crumble, who will remember This lady of the West Country?
- Look thy last on all things lovely, Every hour-let no night Seal thy sense in deathly slumber Till to delight Thou hast paid thy utmost blessing.
- 'Who knocks?' 'I, who was beautiful, Beyond all dreams to restore, I from the roots of the dark thorn am hither, And knock on the door.'
- A face peered. All the grey night In chaos of vacancy shone; Nought but vast sorrow was there- The sweet cheat gone.
- Do diddle di do, Poor Jim Jay Got stuck fast In Yesterday.
- It's a very odd thing&mdas; As odd as can be- That whatever Miss T. eats Turns into Miss T.
- Three jolly huntsmen, In coats of red, Rode their horses Up to bed.
- Bang! Now the animal Is dead and dumb and done. Nevermore to peep again, creep again, leap again, Eat or sleep or drink again, oh, what fun!
- Wonderful lovely there she sat, Singing the night away, All in the solitudinous sea Of that there lonely bay.
- For beauty with sorrow Is a burden hard to be borne: The evening light on the foam, and the swans, there; That music, remote, forlorn.
- Some one came knocking At my wee, small door; Some one came knocking, I'm sure-sure-sure.
- Softly along the road of evening, In a twilight dim with rose, Wrinkled with age, and drenched with dew Old Nod, the shepherd, goes.
- His are the quiet steeps of dreamland, The waters of no-more-pain; His ram's bell rings 'neath an arch of stars, 'Rest, rest, and rest again.'
- We wake and whisper awhile, But, the day gone by, Silence and sleep like fields Of amaranth lie.
- Oh, no man knows Through what wild centuries Roves back the rose.
- Old Rover in his moss-greened house Mumbles a bone, and barks at a mouse.
- Dobbin at manger pulls his hay: Gone is another summer's day.
- All but blind In his chambered hole Gropes for worms The four-clawed Mole.
- So, blind to Someone I must be.
- What lovely things Thy hand hath made.
- 'Bunches of grapes,' says Timothy; 'Pomegranates pink,' says Elaine; 'A junket of cream and a cranberry tart For me,' says Jane.
- 'A bumpity ride in a wagon of hay'
- Poor tired Tim! It's sad for him He lags the long bright morning through, Ever so tired of nothing to do.
- 'What is the world, O soldiers? It is I, I, this incessant snow, This northern sky.
- 'Is anybody there?' said the Traveler, Knocking on the moonlit door; And his horse in the silence chomped the grasses Of the forest's ferny floor.
- 'Tell them I came, and no one answered, That I kept my word,' he said.
- Never the least stir made the listeners, Though every word he spake Fell echoing through the shadowiness of the still house From the one man left awake: Aye, they heard his foot upon the stirrup, And the sound of iron on stone, And how the silence surged softly backward, When the plunging hoofs were gone.
- Who said 'Peacock Pie'? The old king to the sparrow: Who said 'Crops are ripe'? Rust to the harrow. Who said, 'Ay, mum's the word'? Sexton to willow. Who said, 'Green dusk for dream?' Moss for a pillow. Who said, 'All Time's delight Hath she for narrow bed; Life's troubled bubble broken'?- That's what I said.
- The delicate, invisible web you wove The inexplicable mystery of sound.
- Or when the lawn Is pressed by unseen feet, and ghosts return Gently at twilight, gently go at dawn, The sad intangible who grieve and yearn...
walter de la mare
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On |
Notice: Undefined variable: daymonth_birthdate in /var/www/quotesby.net/public_html/author.php on line 136
|Who Also Died On |
Notice: Undefined variable: daymonth_deathdate in /var/www/quotesby.net/public_html/author.php on line 136
Copyright © www.quotesby.net