george borrow Quotes
George Borrow Quotes
Read how to open files in File Open Database.
- The author of Amelia, the most singular genius which their island ever produced, whose works it has long been the fashion to abuse in public and to read in secret.
- There is a peculiarity in the countenance, as everybody knows, which, though it cannot be described, is sure to betray the Englishman.
- Sherry...a silly, sickly compound, the use of which will transform a nation, however bold and warlike by nature, into a race of sketchers, scribblers, and punsters, in fact into what Englishmen are at the present day.
- There are no countries in the world less known by the British than these selfsame British Islands, or where more strange things are every day occurring.
- Smoking has a sedative effect upon the nerves, and enables a man to bear the sorrows of this life (of which every one has his share) not only decently, but dignifiedly.
- If you must commit suicide - and there is no knowing to what people may be brought - always contrive to do it as decorously as possible; the decencies, whether of life or of death, should never be lost sight of.
- I have always been a friend to hero-worship; it is the only rational one, and has always been in use amongst civilized people.
- There's night and day, brother, both sweet things; sun, moon, and stars, brother, all sweet things; there's likewise a wind on the heath. Life is very sweet, brother; who would wish to die?
- There's the wind on the heath, brother; if I could only feel that, I would gladly live for ever.
- He is not deserving of the name of Englishman who speaketh against ale, that is, good ale.
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On ||Who Also Died On |
Copyright © www.quotesby.net