jackie speier Quotes
Jackie Speier Quotes
Read how to open files in File Open Database.
- We were about to board the planes for the flight back to the United States. Jim Jones didn't want us to leave, at least not alive. A tractor trailer loaded with men armed with shotguns and rifles pulled up and opened fire on us at that airstrip. Congressman Ryan was gunned down, having been shot 40 times. The first and only congressman in the history of this country to be assassinated during the line of duty. I was shot five times and left to bleed on that airstrip for 22 hours. Back at Jonestown, over 900 people lost their lives in a mass murder and suicide that night. This is what I awoke to on that long day. I was 28 years old, and I was waiting to die. I laid awake all night fearing some of the gunmen would come back and finish us off. Time passed, and local Guyanese people offered me rum to try and get me through the night. I had a lot of time to think. I promised God that if I lived, I would make every day count. I promised that I would make something out of my life if I was allowed to keep my life. Well, here I am. I have chosen a career as a public servant. One, I hope many of you will contemplate as you move forward in your lives.
- Leo Ryan's life and his deeds are about a life that was so much more than Guyana. He was relentless in his search for answers, answers that were not readily available by just asking questions...We remember him today because his story is so much like those of most Americans; we want to believe the best and we sometimes hear the worst.
- I'm a big believer that success is never final and failure is never fatal., San Francisco Examiner, April 5, 2008
- Jackie Speier Senate website
- Jackie Speier election website
- 2006 Candidates for Lt. Governor
- Senator Speier's Legislation History
- California June Primary Results
- San Francisco City & County website
- San Mateo County website
- Jackie Speier -- moving on, moving up: Survivor of Jonestown ambush plans run for lieutenant governor, November 16, 2003, San Francisco Chronicle
- Reforming California's Prisons: An Interview With Jackie Speier, Mother Jones, July 7, 2005
- Commencement Speaker, San Francisco State University, 2006
- Senator Jackie Speier one of honored guests at banquet, Armenian National Committee of America Western Region, October 2006.
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On ||Who Also Died On |
Copyright © www.quotesby.net