bette davis Quotes
Bette Davis QuotesBirth Date: 1908-04-05 (Sunday, April 5th, 1908)
Date of Death: 1989-10-06 (Friday, October 6th, 1989)
Discover how to find info about file extension apk with articles and other interesting information.
- Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night.
- It is my last wish to be buried sitting up.
- Three years ago I was forty... forty! Four-oh! That slipped out. Now I suddenly feel as if I've taken all my clothes off.
- We're all busy little bees, full of stings, making honey day and night, aren't we honey?
- I must start wearing a watch. I never have you know.
- Everybody has a heart. Except some people.
- I wouldn't worry too much about your heart. You can always put that award where your heart ought to be.
- In this rat-race everybody's guilty till proved innocent!
- Performance number 1,000, if I play it that long, will take place in a well-padded booby-hatch.
- Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.
- An affair now and then is good for a marriage. It adds spice, stops it from getting boring... I ought to know.
- Attempt the impossible in order to improve your work.
- Brought up to respect the conventions, love had to end in marriage. I'm afraid it did.
- Evil people you never forget them. And that's the aim of any actress- never to be forgotten.
- First time was when I was 26 and got married - and it was hell waiting.
- From the moment I was six I felt sexy. And let me tell you it was hell, sheer hell, waiting to do something about it.
- Gary was a macho man, but none of my husbands was ever man enough to become Mr. Bette Davis.
- Gay Liberation? I ain't against it, it's just that there's nothing in it for me.
- Hollywood always wanted me to be pretty, but I fought for realism.
- I am doomed to an eternity of compulsive work. No set goal achieved satisfies. Success only breeds a new goal. The golden apple devoured has seeds. It is endless.
- I do not regret one professional enemy I have made. Any actor who doesn't dare to make an enemy should get out of the business.
- I don't take the movies seriously, and anyone who does is in for a headache.
- I don't think of myself as a character actress - that's become a phrase which means you've had it.
- I have been uncompromising, peppery, intractable, monomaniacal, tactless, volatile, and ofttimes disagreeable... I suppose I'm larger than life.
- I have often seen an actor laugh off the stage, but I don't remember ever having seen one weep.
- I never did pal around with actresses. Their talk usually bored me to tears.
- I often think that a slightly exposed shoulder emerging from a long satin nightgown packs more sex than two naked bodies in bed.
- I think I'll have a large order of prognosis negative.
- I wanted to be the first to win three Oscars, but Miss Hepburn has done it. Actually it hasn't been done. Miss Hepburn only won half an Oscar. If they'd given me half an Oscar I would have thrown it back in their faces. You see, I'm an Aries. I never lose.
- I was never beautiful like Miss Hayworth or Miss Lamarr. I was known as the little brown wren. Who'd want to get me at the end of the picture?
- I was never very interested in boys - and there were plenty of them - vying with one another to see how many famous women they would get into the hay.
- I was the Marlon Brando of my generation.
- I was thought to be stuck up. I wasn't. I was just sure of myself. This is and always has been an unforgivable quality to the unsure.
- I went back to work because someone had to pay for the groceries.
- I will never be below the title.
- I will not retire while I've still got my legs and my make-up box.
- I work to stay alive.
- I'd luv to kiss ya, but I just washed my hair.
- I'd marry again if I found a man who had fifteen million dollars, would sign over half to me, and guarantee that he'd be dead within a year.
- I'm the nicest goddamn dame that ever lived.
- I've always liked men better than women.
- I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.
- I've lost my faith in science.
- If you've never been hated by your child, you've never been a parent.
- In this business, until you're known as a monster you're not a star.
- It has been my experience that one cannot, in any shape or form, depend on human relations for lasting reward. It is only work that truly satisfies.
- 'Laxatives is good for the soul.'
- Locations are all tough, all miserable. I never left the sound stage for 18 years at Warners. We never went outside the studio, not even for big scenes.
- Love is not enough. It must be the foundation, the cornerstone - but not the complete structure. It is much too pliable, too yielding.
- Men become much more attractive when they start looking older. But it doesn't do much for women, though we do have an advantage: make-up.
- My passions were all gathered together like fingers that made a fist. Drive is considered aggression today; I knew it then as purpose.
- Oh, don't let's ask for the moon. We've already got the stars.
- Old age is no place for sissies.
- People often become actresses because of something they dislike about themselves: They pretend they are someone else.
- Psychoanalysis. Almost went three times - almost. Then I decided what was peculiar about me was probably what made me successful. I've seen some very talented actors go into analysis and really lose it.
- Sex is God's joke on human beings.
- She's the original good time that was had by all.
- Strong women only marry weak men.
- The best time I ever had with Joan Crawford was when I pushed her down the stairs in 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?'
- The weak are the most treacherous of us all. They come to the strong and drain them. They are bottomless. They are insatiable. They are always parched and always bitter. They are everyone's concern and like vampires they suck our life's blood.
- There are new words now that excuse everybody. Give me the good old days of heroes and villains, the people you can bravo or hiss. There was a truth to them that all the slick credulity of today cannot touch.
- This has always been a motto of mine: Attempt the impossible in order to improve your work.
- To fulfill a dream, to be allowed to seat over lonely labor, to be given the chance to create, is the meat and potatoes of life. The money is the gravy. As everyone else, I love to dunk my crust in it. But alone, it is not a diet designed to keep body and soul together.
- Today everyone is a star - they're all billed as 'starring' or 'also starring'. In my day, we earned that recognition.
- Wave after wave of love flooded the stage and washed over me, the beginning of the one great durable romance of my life.
- We movie stars all end up by ourselves. Who knows? Maybe we want to.
- Why am I so good at playing bitches? I think it's because I'm not a bitch. Maybe that's why Miss Crawford always plays ladies.
- With the newspaper strike on, I wouldn't consider dying.
- Without wonder and insight, acting is just a trade. With it, it becomes creation.
- You can't say I didn't fall for you.
- You know what I'm going to have on my gravestone? 'She did it the hard way.'
- You should know me well enough by now to know I don't ask for things I don't think I can get.
- You should never say bad things about the dead, you should only say good:Joan Crawford is dead, good!
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On April 5th||Who Also Died On October 6th|
Copyright © www.quotesby.net