- The vanquished know war. They see through the empty jingoism of those who use the abstract words of glory, honor, and patriotism to mask the cries of the wounded, the senseless killing, war profiteering, and chest-pounding grief.
- Over the last few decades these radical religious broadcasters, who have essentially taken control of the airwaves, have built a parallel information and entertainment service that is piped into tens of millions of American homes as a way of essentially indoctrinating listeners and viewers with this very frightening ideology.
- As I looked out on the crowd, I was witnessing things I had witnessed in the Plaza de Mayo in Argentina or in squares in Belgrade: it breaks my heart when I see it in my country.
- Most of these who are thrust into combat soon find it impossible to maintain the mythic perception of war.
- Of the past 3,400 years, humans have been entirely at peace for 268 of them, or just 8 percent of recorded history.
- We have to be clear that we don't know what's going on in Iraq.