- The ancient owls' nest must have burned. Hastily, all alone, a glistening armadillo left the scene, rose-flecked, head down, tail down
- The big fish tubs are completely lined with layers of beautiful herring scales and the wheelbarrows are similarly plastered with creamy iridescent coats of mail, with small iridescent flies crawling on them.
- Why should I be my aunt, or me, or anyone? What similarities boots, hands, the family voice I felt in my throat, or even the National Geographic and those awful hanging breasts held us all together or made us all just one?
- From a magician's midnight sleeve the radio-singers distribute all their love-songs over the dew-wet lawns.
- The armored cars of dreams contrived to let us do so many a dangerous thing.
- Topography displays no favorites; North's as near as West. More delicate than the historians' are the map-makers' colors.