- Brightest and best of the sons of the morning, Dawn on our darkness, and lend us thine aid.
- By cool Siloam's shady rill How sweet the lily grows!
- The Son of God goes forth to war, A kingly crown to gain; His blood red banner streams afar: Who follows in His train?
- From Greenland's icy mountains, From India's coral strand, Where Afric's sunny fountains Roll down their golden sand.
- Though every great prospect pleases, And only man is vile.
- The heathen in his blindness Bows down to wood and stone.
- Holy, Holy, Holy! Lord God Almighty! Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee: Holy, Holy, Holy! Merciful and Mighty! God in Three Persons, Blessed Trinity.
- Failed the bright promise of your early day.
- No hammers fell, no ponderous axes rung; Like some tall palm the mystic fabric sprung.
- When Spring unlocks the flowers to paint the laughing soil.
- Death rides on every passing breeze, He lurks in every flower.
- Thou art gone to the grave; but we will not deplore thee, Though sorrows and darkness encompass the tomb.
- Thus heavenly hope is all serene, But earthly hope, how bright soe'er, Still fluctuates o'er this changing scene, As false and fleeting as 't is fair.