- Forsaken, fucking in the cold, eating each other, lost runny noses, complaining all the time like so many people that we know
- Thinking hard about you I got on the bus and paid 30 cents car fare and asked the driver for two transfers before discovering that I was alone.
- Everybody wants to go to bed with everybody else, they're lined up for blocks, so I'll go to bed with you. They won't miss us.
- A friend came over to the house a few days ago and read one of my poems. He came back today and asked to read the same poem over again. After he finished reading it, he said, 'It makes me want to write poetry.'
- I like to think (it has to be!) of a cybernetic ecology where we are free of our labors and joined back to nature, returned to our mammal brothers and sisters, and all watched over by machines of loving grace.
- if a girl likes me a lot and starts getting real nervous and suddenly begins asking me funny questions and looks sad if I give the wrong answers and she says things like, 'Do you think it's going to rain?' and I say, 'It beats me,' and she says, 'Oh,' and looks a little sad at the clear blue California sky, I think: Thank God, it's you, baby, this time Instead of me.
- All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds.
- I'm in a constant process of thinking about things. I'll think about things for thirty or forty years before I'll write it.
- Probably the closest things to perfection are the huge absolutely empty holes that astronomers have recently discovered in space. If there's nothing there, how can anything go wrong?
- It's strange how the simple things in life go on while we become more difficult.
- I didn't know the full dimensions of forever, but I knew it was longer than waiting for Christmas to come. --So the Wind Won't Blow It All Away, p.38
- More poems by Brautigan||