- One of my guiding principles is don't do anything that other people are doing. Always do something a little different if you can. The concept is that if you do it a little differently there is a greater potential for reward than if you the same thing that other people are doing. I think that this kind of goal for one's work, having obviously the maximum risk, would have the maximum reward no matter what the field may be.
- I talk to myself through the computer. I ask myself questions, leave things to be looked at again, things that you would do with a notepad. It turns out today that it's much better today to do with a personal computer rather than a notepad.
- Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system.
- I just bought a Mac to help me design the next Cray.
- If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use?... Two strong oxen or 1024 chickens?
- Memory is like an orgasm. It's a lot better if you don't have to fake it.
- Parity is for farmers.
- I learned that a lot of farmers buy computers.