- A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. Nobody is going to win a 5,000 meter race after running an easy 2 miles. Not with me. If I lose forcing the pace all the way, well, at least I can live with myself.
- A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways they're capable of understanding.
- How does a kid from Coos Bay, with one leg longer than the other win races? All my life people have been telling me, 'You're too small Pre', 'You're not fast enough Pre.' 'Give up your foolish dream Steve.' But they forgot something. I have to win.
- I don't just go out there and run. I like to give people watching something exciting.
- I hate having those people back there sucking on me.
- I run best when I run free.
- I'm going to work so that it's a pure guts race at the end, and if it is, I am the only one who can win it.
- Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative.
- Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
- Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him,' and I just took off.
- The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die.
- The real reason to run a race is not to win the race but to test the limits of the human heart.
- To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift.
- What I want is to be number one.