- Entre los Individuos, como entre Las Naciones, El respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz.
- The government of the republic will fulfill its duty to defend its independence, to repel foreign aggression, and accept the struggle to which it has been provoked, counting on the unanimous spirit of the Mexicans and on the fact that sooner or later the cause of rights and justice will triumph.
- In use of the broad powers with which I have been invested, I have found it proper to declare that 1. Priests of any cult who, abusing their ministry, excite hate or disrespect for our laws, our government, or its rights, will be punished by three years' imprisonment or deportation. 2. Because of the present crisis all cathedral chapters are suppressed, except for that of Guadalajara because of its patriotic behavior. 3. Priests of all cults are forbidden from wearing their vestments or any other distinguishing garment outside of the churches: All violators will be punished with fines of ten to one hundred pesos or imprisonment from fifteen to sixty days.
- Democracy is the destiny of humanity; freedom its indestructible arm.
- Adversity discourages none but contemptible peoples.
- Europe believes American countries to be weak, we would not go there to provoke them, but if they come to seek us at this continent which is our home, to try to enslave us, we will show their invincible armies that a small country is big, that a weak country is strong, that a young nation is powerful when its courage stems from the love for liberty and justice.
- Mexicans: let us now pledge all our efforts to obtain and consolidate the benefits of peace. Under its auspices, the protection of the laws and of the authorities will be sufficient for all the inhabitants of the Republic. May the people and the government respect the rights of all. Between individuals, as between nations, peace means respect for the rights of others.
- There is no help but in defense but I can assure you... the Imperial Government will not succeed in subduing the Mexicans, and its armies will not have a single day of peace... we must stop them, not only for our country but for the respect of the sovereignty of the nations.