- I was walking along a path with two friends - the sun was setting - suddenly the sky turned blood red - I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence - there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city - my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety - and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature.
- Could only have been painted by a madman.
- From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.
- I will paint living people who breathe and feel and suffer and love.
- I painted from memory... the impressions of my childhood.
- I painted the lines and colours that affected my inner eye... from memory without adding anything.
- My art is rooted in a single reflection... my art gives meaning to my life.
- One night I was walking along a lane, on one side stood the town and underneath the Fjord, I was tired and sick. I stopped to look beyond the fjord - the sun was getting down - the clouds were tinged with a blood-red, I heard a cry to cross Nature: I almost thought of hearing it. I painted this picture, I painted the clouds like true blood. Colours were crying
- Without fear and disease, my life would be like a boat without oars.