- Reign, and keep life in this our deep desire Our only greatness is that we aspire.
- Crowds of bees are giddy with clover Crowds of grasshoppers skip at our feet, Crowds of larks at their matins hang over, Thanking the Lord for a life so sweet.
- But two are walking apart forever And wave their hands for a mute farewell.
- A sweeter woman ne'er drew breath Than my sonne's wife, Elizabeth.
- Man dwells apart, though not alone, He walks among his peers unread; The best of thoughts which he hath known For lack of listeners are not said.
- How short our happy days appear! How long the sorrowful!
- To bear, to nurse, to rear, To watch and then to lose, To see my bright ones disappear, Drawn up like morning dews.