- In 1967: I've never been out with a married woman, never. I respect others' properties.
- [about starring in 'Jaws: The Revenge'] I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.
- 'I am in so many movies that are on TV at 2:00 a.m. that people think I am dead.'
- 'I used to get the girl; now I get the part. In 'The Quiet American' you may have noticed I got the part and the girl. It's a milestone for me, because it's the last time I'm going to get the girl. I'm sure of it, now I'm nearly 70.'
- 'Movie acting is about covering the machinery. Stage acting is about exposing the machinery. In cinema, you should think the actor is playing himself, if he's that good. It looks very easy. It should. But it's not, I assure you. To disappear your complete self into a character is quite difficult. I've tried it 85 times, and I've succeeded two or three times.'
- 'The best research [for playing a drunk] is being a British actor for 20 years.'
- 'First of all, I choose the great [roles], and if none of these come, I choose the mediocre ones, and if they don't come, I choose the ones that pay the rent.'