- So I was smacked up on the Prime Minister's jet - big deal.
- The eminence cerise, the bolster behind the throne.
- There can be no more thrilling idea of intimacy that connecting with someone through the agency of the written word. Here we meet, on the page, naked and unadorned: shorn of class, race, gender, sexual identity, age and nationality. The reader I seek is a tautology, for he/she is simply:the person who wants to read what I have written.
- I have a healthy appetite for solitude. If you don't, you have no business being a writer.
- I think of writing as a sculptural medium. You are not building things. You are removing things, chipping away at language to reveal a living form.
- All my work is highly personal; it's more personal than me. You know, reading my books is having a far more intimate relationship with me than having a relationship with me.
- I want to be misunderstood. And the other thing that amuses me is: I don't particularly want to be liked. Nobody goes into the business of writing satire to be liked. Whether I am or am not a nice bloke is neither here nor there. It's not part of the task I've set myself in my art.