alexander suvorov Quotes
Alexander Suvorov QuotesBirth Date: 1729-11-24 (Thursday, November 24th, 1729)
Date of Death: 1800-05-18 (Sunday, May 18th, 1800)
Discover how to find info about file extension apk with articles and other interesting information.
- One cannot think that blind bravery gives victory over the enemy.
- The bullet is a fool, the bayonet is a fine chap.
- The bullet is a mad thing; only the bayonet knows what it is about.
- Train hard, fight easy.
- Win with ability, not with numbers.
- No battle can be won in the study, and theory without practice is dead.
- The three military arts. First - Apprehension, how to arrange things in camp, how to march, how to attack, pursue, and strike; for taking up position, final judgement of the enemy's strength, for estimating his intentions. Second - Quickness... This quickness doesn't weary the men. The enemy doesn't expect us, reckons us 100 versts away, and if a long way off to begin with - 200, 300 or more - suddenly we're on him, like snow on the head; his head spins. Attack with what comes up, with what God sends; the cavalry to begin, smash, strike, cut off, don't let slip, hurra! Brothers do miracles! Third - Attack. Leg supports leg. Arm strengthens arm; many men will die in the volley; the enemy has the same weapons, but he doesn't know the Russian bayonet. Extend the line - attack at once with cold steel; extend the line without stopping... the Cossacks to get through everywhere... In two lines is strength; in three, half as much again; the first breaks, the second drives into heaps, the third overthrows.
- It is very difficult to do one's duty. I was considered a barbarian because at the storming of the Praga 7,000 people were killed. Europe says that I am a monster. I myself have read this in the papers, but I would have liked to talk to people about this and ask them: is it not better to finish a war with the death of 7,000 people rather than to drag it on and kill 100,000.
- The officers know that I myself am not ashamed to work at this. ...Suvorov was Major, and Adjutant, and everything down to Corporal; I myself looked into everything and could teach everybody.
- To me death is better than the defensive.
- If we had not driven them into hell... hell would have swallowed us.
- Fight the enemy with the weapons he lacks.
- Drill your soldiers well, and give them a pattern yourself.
- Exercises cultivated self-reliance - the foundation of courage.
- A strong pursuit, give no time for the enemy to think, take advantage of victory, uproot him, cut off his escape route.
- Fire opens the gates of victory.
- The more comfort the less courage there is.
- Die for the Virgin, for your mother the Empress, for the royal family. The Church will pray to God for the dead. The survivor has honor and glory.
- When the enemy is driven back, we have failed, and when he is cut off, encircled and dispersed, we have succeeded.
- Accustom yourself to tireless activity...
- One minute decides the outcome of a battle, one hour the success of a campaign, one day the fate of empires.
- Fortune seized at the right moment gives victory.
- As long as the enemy fights he must be beaten relentlessly, but a defeated enemy and especially the civilian population must be treated generously.
- To surprise the enemy is to defeat him.
- Judgment of eye, speed and attack are the basis of victory.
- Money is expensive during the war. Human life is more expensive. And time is the most expensive.
- Alive. In health. Serving. Suvorov.
- Alexander V. Suvorov: Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800
- Speed, Assessment, and Hitting Power: Suvorov's Art of Victory
- Suvorov military musum in St Petersburg
- Suvorov's home and family
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On November 24th||Who Also Died On May 18th|
Copyright © www.quotesby.net