- Accordingly, death is a harbor of peace for the just, but is believed a shipwreck for the wicked.
- It is not death therefore that is burdensome, but the fear of death.
- It did not please God to save his people through dialectic.
- When I am at Rome, I fast on a Saturday; when I am at Milan, I do not. Follow the custom of the church where you are.
- Si fueris Romae, Romano vivito more; Si fueris alibi, vivito sicut ibi.
- In some causes silence is dangerous; so if any know of conspiracies against their country or king, or any that might greatly prejudice their neighbor, they ought to discover it.
- The emperor is in the Church, not above the Church.