- Never compose anything unless the not composing of it becomes a positive nuisance to you.
- Always ask for advice but never take it.
- If nobody likes your work, you have to go on just for the sake of the work. And you're in no danger of letting the public make you repeat yourself. Every artist ought to pray that he may not be 'a success'. If he's a failure he stands a good chance of concentrating upon the best work of which he's capable.
- One of the advantages of being over forty is that one begins to learn the difference between knowing and realising.
- Music, being identical with heaven, isn't a thing of momentary thrills, or even hourly ones. It's a condition of eternity.