- Cities have sexes: London is a man, Paris a woman, and New York a well-adjusted transsexual.
- Aeneas carried his aged father on his back from the ruins of Troy and so do we all, whether we like it or not, perhaps even if we have never known them.
- A book is simply the container of an idea-like a bottle; what is inside the book is what matters.
- Throwing open the door, she brings forth the veritable queen of all the souffles, that spreads its archangelic wings over the entire kitchen as it leaps upwards from the dish in which the force of gravity alone confines it.
- Women's sexy underwear is a minor but significant growth industry of late-twentieth-century Britain in the twilight of capitalism.