- Applause is a receipt, not a note of demand.
- The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides.
- I am attracted only to music which I consider to be better than it can be performed. Therefore I feel (rightly or wrongly) that unless a piece of music presents a problem to me, a never-ending problem, it doesn't interest me too much.
- Children are given Mozart because of the small quantity of the notes; grown-ups avoid Mozart because of the great quality of the notes.
- I know two kinds of audience only - one coughing, and one not coughing.