cardinal richelieu Quotes
Cardinal Richelieu QuotesDate of Death: 1642-12-04 (Thursday, December 4th, 1642)
Read how to open files in File Open Database.
cardinal richelieu life timeline
|Samuel de Champlain reclaims his role as commander of New France on behalf of Cardinal Richelieu.||Tuesday, March 1st, 1633|
- Qu'on me donne six lignes ecrites de la main du plus honnete homme, j'y trouverai de quoi le faire pendre.
- Pour tromper un rival l'artifice est permis; on peut tout employer contres ses ennemis.
- Savoir dissimuler est le savoir des rois.
- Carry on any enterprise as if all future success depends on it.
- Had Luther and Calvin been confined before they had begun to dogmatize, the states would have been spared many troubles.
- Harshness towards individuals who flout the laws and commands of state is for the public good; no greater crime against the public interest is possible than to show leniency to those who violate it.
- I have never had any [enemies] other than those of the state.
- I have the consolation of leaving your kingdom in the highest degree of glory and of reputation.
- Never write a letter and never destroy one
- One must believe neither the people of the palace, who ordinarily measure the power of the king by the shape of his crown, which, being round, has no end, nor those who, in the excesses of an indiscreet zeal, proclaim themselves openly as partisans of Rome.
- Reason must be the universal rule and guide; all things must be done according to reason without allowing oneself to be swayed by emotion.
- Secrecy is the first essential in affairs of state.
- War is one of the scourges with which it has pleased God to afflict men.
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On ||Who Also Died On December 4th|
Copyright © www.quotesby.net