- Everything begins in mysticism and ends in politics.
- It is impossible to write ancient history because we do not have enough sources and impossible to write modern history because we have too many.
- The honest man must be a perpetual renegade, the life of an honest man a perpetual infidelity. For the man who wishes to remain faithful to truth must make himself perpetually unfaithful to all the continual, successive, indefatigable renascent errors.
- The world has changed more in the last thirty years than it has since Jesus Christ.
- When I see my best friend coming I do not say to myself 'How am I going to manage propagandizing him?'
- The man who wishes to remain faithful to justice must make himself continually unfaithful to inexhaustibly triumphant injustice.