- An honorable defeat is better than a dishonorable victory.
- God knows that I detest slavery, but it is an existing evil, for which we are not responsible, and we must endure it, till we can get rid of it without destroying the last hope of free government in the world.
- I have no language to express the emotions of my heart. The shock is so sudden and unexpected, I am overwhelmed.
- I know nothing but my Country, my whole Country, and nothing but my Country.
- It is a national disgrace that our Presidents, after having occupied the highest position in the country, should be cast adrift, and, perhaps, be compelled to keep a corner grocery for subsistence.
- It is not strange... to mistake change for progress.
- Let us remember that revolutions do not always establish freedom. Our own free institutions were not the offspring of our Revolution. They existed before.
- May God save the country, for it is evident that the people will not.
- Nothing brings out the lower traits of human nature like office-seeking. Men of good character and impulses are betrayed by it into all sorts of meanness.
- The man who can look upon a crisis without being willing to offer himself upon the altar of his country is not fit for public trust.