Notice: Undefined variable: author in /var/www/quotesby.net/public_html/author.php on line 7
ernest bevin Quotes
Notice: Undefined variable: file in /var/www/quotesby.net/public_html/author.php on line 38
Ernest Bevin Quotes
Read about file extension history in file extension history DB.
- If the workers see themselves faced with defeat through starvation, they will prefer to go down fighting rather than fainting - and whether or not we leaders agree.
- The most conservative man in the world is the British Trade Unionist when you want to change him.
- It is placing the Executive and the Movement in an absolutely wrong position to be hawking your conscience round from body to body asking to be told what you ought to do with it.
- The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.
- If anyone asks me who was responsible for the British policy leading up to the war, I should, as a Labour man myself, make a confession and say: 'All of us'. We refused absolutely to face the facts. When the issue came of arming or rearming millions of people in this country...we refused to face the real issue at a critical moment. But what is the good of blaming anybody? We cannot make our action retrospective whatever we do. We have to start from now and try to do the best we can.
- The fact of it is that all of us agreed to save 6d. in the Income Tax by breaking up the Army in peace-time and not having it prepared when war broke out...I will never be a party to it again.
- So long as I have any power at all I will never be a party to treating the Army in the future as it has been treated in the past. They broke up in peace-time the very foundations of the Army structure, and expected to build it up during war-time with the enemy at the gates.
- We need 720,000 men continuously employed in this industry. This is where you boys come in. Our fighting men will not be able to achieve their purpose unless we get an adequate supply of coal.
- There should be a study of a house directly elected by the people of the world to whom the nations are accountable.
- I think that in the little argument going on now in New York and the differences that have arisen there are emerging three very fundamental principles. One is that it is improper to negotiate or attempt to negotiate or attempt to gain concessions by a great Power out of a little Power by means of occupying that country with your forces. It is the tradition - and I am not saying of one or other country only they have done it - but it is nineteenth-century imperialism that really must be left behind, and I believe that a solution will be found and the principle accepted that those of us who represent the great Powers will not do that.
- If I may again refer to the different political concepts, there is, I think rather unfortunately, running through all the speeches and writings of our Soviet friends the theory that they alone represent the workers - that they alone are democratic.
- They say that Gladstone was at the Treasury from 1860 to 1930. I intend to be Minister of Labour from 1940 to 1990!
- My policy is to be able to take a ticket at Victoria station and go anywhere I damn well please!
- If you open that Pandora's Box, you never know what Trojan 'orses will jump out!
- Not while I'm alive he ain't.
- We have got to have this thing over here whatever it costs. We've got to have the bloody Union Jack on top of it.
- Ernest Bevin had many of the strongest characteristics of the English race. His manliness, his common sense, his rough simplicity, sturdiness and kind heart, easy geniality and generosity, all are qualities which we who live in the southern part of this famous island regard with admiration.
- Some of us do not think that passports are the same since they were introduced by the words, 'We, Ernest Bevin'.
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On |
Notice: Undefined variable: daymonth_birthdate in /var/www/quotesby.net/public_html/author.php on line 136
|Who Also Died On |
Notice: Undefined variable: daymonth_deathdate in /var/www/quotesby.net/public_html/author.php on line 136
Copyright © www.quotesby.net