- That's not it. That's not it at all. You always have a tendency to add. But one must be able to subtract too. It's not enough to integrate, you must also disintegrate. That's the way life is. That's philosophy. That's science. That's progress, civilization.
- There are now many invisible people on stage.
- I didn't mean you were stupid. It's just that you're not logical, which isn't the same thing at all.
- Oh words, what crimes are committed in your name!
- Logician: A cat has four paws. Old Gentleman: My dog had four paws. Logician: Then it's a cat. Old Gentleman: So my dog is a cat? Logician: And the contrary is also true.
- Good men make good rhinoceroses, unfortunately.
- I am not capitulating.
- But History was against me. History is right, objectively speaking. I'm just a historical dead end. I hope at least that my fate will serve as an example to you all and to posterity.
- I thought that it was strange to assume that it was abnormal for anyone to be forever asking questions about the nature of the universe, about what the human condition really was, my condition, what I was doing here, if there was really something to do. It seemed to me on the contrary that it was abnormal for people not to think about it, for them to allow themselves to live, as it were, unconsciously. Perhaps it's because everyone, all the others, are convinced in some unformulated, irrational way that one day everything will be made clear. Perhaps there will be a morning of grace for humanity. Perhaps there will be a morning of grace for me.
- It is not the answer that enlightens, but the question.
- It isn't what people think that's important, but the reason they think what they think.
- It's not a certain society that seems ridiculous to me, it's mankind.
- Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together.
- I have no ideas before I write a play. I have them when I have finished it ... I believe that aritistic creation is spontaneous. It is for me.
- Why do people always expect authors to answer questions? I am an author because I want to ask questions. If I had answers, I'd be a politician.
- No society has been able to abolish human sadness, no political system can deliver us from the pain of living, from our fear of death, our thirst for the absolute. It is the human condition that directs the social condition, not vice versa.