john (dramatist) ford Quotes
John (dramatist) Ford Quotes
Read how to open files in File Open Database.
- Her words are trusty heralds to her mind.
- Oh, happy kings, Whose thrones are raised in their subjects' hearts.
- Sister, look ye, How, by a new creation of my tailor's I've shook off old mortality.
- A bachelor May thrive by observation, on a little. A single life's no burden: but to draw In yokes is chargeable, and will require A double maintenance.
- Flattery Is monstrous in a true friend.
- Physicians are the cobblers, rather the botchers, of men's bodies; as the one patches our tattered clothes, so the other solders our diseased flesh.
- Tell us, pray, what devil This melancholy is, which can transform Men into monsters.
- Melancholy Is not, as you conceive, indisposition Of body, but the mind's disease.
- Philosophers dwell in the moon.
- Love is the tyrant of the heart; it darkens Reason, confounds discretion; deaf to Counsel It runs a headlong course to desperate madness.
- Fly hence, shadows, that do keep, Watchful sorrows, charmed in sleep.
- Tempt not the stars, young man, thou canst not play With the severity of fate.
- I am, gay creature, With pardon of your deities, a mushroom On whom the dew of heaven drops now and then.
- Green indiscretion, flattery of greatness, Rawness of judgement, wilfulness in folly, Thoughts vagrant as the wind, and as uncertain.
- The joys of marriage are the heaven on earth, Life's paradise, great princess, the soul's quiet, Sinews of concord, earthly immortality, Eternity of pleasures; no restoratives Like to a constant woman!
- Glories Of human greatness are but pleasing dreams, And shadows soon decaying.
- Revenge proves its own executioner.
- There's not a hair Sticks on my head but, like a leaden plummet, It sinks me to the grave: I must creep thither; The journey is not long.
- Truth is child of time.
- Love is dead; let lovers' eyes Locked in endless dreams Th' extreme of all extremes Ope no more, for now Love dies.
- He hath shook hands with time.
- Nice philosophy May tolerate unlikely arguments, But heaven admits no jest.
- I have spent Many a silent night in sighs and groans, Ran over all my thoughts, despised my fate, Reasoned against the reasons of my love, Done all that smoothed-cheek Virtue could advise, But found all bootless: 'tis my destiny That you must either love, or I must die.
- Brother, even by my mother's dust, I charge you, Do not betray me to your mirth or hate.
- Delay in vengeance gives a heavier blow.
- There is a place, List, daughter! in a black and hollow vault, Where day is never seen; there shines no sun, But flaming horror of consuming fires; A lightless sulphur, choked with smoky fogs Of an infected darkness; in this place Dwell many thousand thousand sundry sorts Of never-dying deaths.
- Busy opinion is an idle fool.
- Why, I hold fate Clasped in my fist, and could command the course Of time's eternal motion, hadst thou been One thought more steady than an ebbing sea.
- He is a noble gentleman; withal Happy in his endeavours: the general voice Sounds him for courtesy, behaviour, language, And every fair demeanour, an example: Titles of honour add not to his worth; Who is himself an honour to his title.
- Let them fear bondage who are slaves to fear; The sweetest freedom is an honest heart.
- We can drink till all look blue.
- Ford was of the first order of poets. He sought for sublimity, not by parcels in metaphors or visible images, but directly where she has her full residence in the heart of man; in the actions and sufferings of the greatest minds.
- Ford is rather a sculptor of character than a painter.
john (dramatist) ford
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On ||Who Also Died On |
Copyright © www.quotesby.net