- Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night.
- I am never quite sure whether I am one of the cinema's elder statesmen or just the oldest whore on the beat.
- I have a lot to be sad about. Not bitter in any way. But I think it can be fairly said that I've been in on the beginning, the rise, peak, collapse and end of the talking picture.
- I got a job at Metro and went in to see Louis Mayer, who told me he wanted me to be a producer. I said I wanted to write and direct. He said, 'No, you have to produce first, you have to crawl before you can walk.' Which is as good a definition of producing as I ever heard.
- Every screenwriter worthy of the name has already directed his film when he has written his script.
joseph l. mankiewicz