- From Toscanini I learnt the essential and desperate seriousness of making music.
- Everyone says you have to be a specialist, and if you conduct Wagner you cannot conduct Mozart - this is nonsense.
- Fight the tendency to become complacent and do one kind of music - that is the death of a musician.
- In my orchestra, I hate slackness, idle talk and lost time. I always hated this and still hate it. But I can achieve much more when I am quiet and not shouting.
- Between the two men, somewhere, a truth is lying, and that is what I try to find.
sir georg solti