- The heart of animals is the foundation of their life, the sovereign of everything within them, the sun of their microcosm.
- All that we know is still infinitely less than all that still remains unknown.
- I profess both to learn and to teach anatomy, not from books but from dissections; not from positions of philosophers but from the fabric of nature.
- I avow myself the partisan of truth alone.
- As art is a habit with reference to things to be done, so is science a habit in respect to things to be known.
- I appeal to your own eyes as my witness and judge.