- The fabulous Eva, Government Glad-Hand Girl No. 1 of the extravagant political novelette that is Argentina.
- That worst evil of long dictatorships: the loss of all political experience.
- When Nikita Khrushchev wrapped himself in the bloody mantle of the Czars he broke Hungary, he broke the little Communist parties over the western world, and he broke the hearts of many honest men who had trusted a little too far, a little too long.
- I like the evening in India, the one magic moment when the sun balances on the rim of the world, and the hush descends, and ten thousand civil servants drift homeward on a river of bicycles, brooding on the Lord Krishna and the cost of living.
- Much of my life seems in retrospect to have been spent in the company of putative national leaders passing through the process of being denounced and imprisoned for sedition, as part of the inevitable progression towards the Prime Ministership and the ritual tea-party at Windsor Castle.
- NASA, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Where else but in Texas would men set up to administer space?
- The new world will be a place of answers and no questions, because the only questions left will be answered by computers, because only computers will know what to ask.
- I do not know why journalists insist on calling their stuff 'pieces', when they are in fact little entities, attempting to have beginnings, middles and endings.