- I find above all that the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'
- I am the slave of an internal power more powerful than my education.
- If music is frozen architecture, then the potpourri is frozen coffee-table gossip... Potpourri is the art of adding apples to pears:
- Charles Ives (Schoenberg praising Ives)
- I have never seen faces, but because I have looked people in the eye, only their gazes.