charles babbage Quotes
Charles Babbage QuotesBirth Date: 1791-12-26 (Monday, December 26th, 1791)
Date of Death: 1871-10-18 (Wednesday, October 18th, 1871)
Discover how to find info about file extension apk with articles and other interesting information.
charles babbage life timeline
|Charles Babbage proposes a difference engine in a paper to the Royal Astronomical Society entitled "Note on the application of machinery to the computation of astronomical and mathematical tables".||Friday, June 14th, 1822|
- Every moment dies a man, Every moment 1 1/16 is born.
- As soon as an Analytical Engine exists, it will necessarily guide the future course of the science. Whenever any result is sought by its aid, the question will then arise-By what course of calculation can these results be arrived at by the machine in the shortest time?
- Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all.
- I wish to God these calculations had been executed by steam.
- On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
- Propose to an Englishman any principle, or any instrument, however admirable, and you will observe that the whole effort of the English mind is directed to find a difficulty, a defect, or an impossibility in it. If you speak to him of a machine for peeling a potato, he will pronounce it impossible: if you peel a potato with it before his eyes, he will declare it useless, because it will not slice a pineapple.
- The whole of arithmetic now appeared within the grasp of mechanism.
- It is therefore not unreasonable to suppose that some portion of the neglect of science in England, may be attributed to the system of education we pursue.
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On December 26th||Who Also Died On October 18th|
Copyright © www.quotesby.net