- 'Stalin was a guy like we are, not only that he considered himself a revolutionary and lived like one, but he was a character in the truest sense of the word ... We have finally to let out this psychological wreckage ... it is our and my darkest chapter, I know or better to say I suspect it, because I am extremely afraid of certain things that are inside of me. Bartsch and Honka are extreme cases, but in some sense this is as personality inside of oneself ... then it easily developed into, yes, the thrill of punching, tending to be a sadistic pleasure.' Written by Fischer in the German journal 'autonomie' No. 5, 1977.
- 'Mit Verlaub Herr Prasident, Sie sind ein Arschloch.' ('With respect, Mr President, you are an asshole') - interjection, dedicated to German Bundestag vice president Richard Stucklen, after he excluded Jurgen Reents because he described Helmut Kohl as 'von Flick freigekauft' (bought out by Flick), 18. October 1984; (S. Krause-Burger: 'Joschka Fischer. Der Marsch durch die Illusionen.')
- 'Excuse me, I am not convinced.' (addressing U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld with regard to the Iraq War at the 39th Security Conference in Munich)
- 'Ich sehe uns schon mit Dreadlocks da sitzen und eine riesige Tute rauchen, im Hintergrund Reggae-Music und vor uns ein dampfendes Bier. Im Ernst: Wie stellen Sie sich das vor?' ('I can already picture us sitting there with dreadlocks, smoking a huge joint, listening to reaggae-music and in front of us a steaming beer. Seriously: Can you imagine such a thing?') (After the Bundestags election 2005 about the dicussions of the so-called Jamaica-coalition.)
- 'Let's forget the reunification, let's just shut up and don't talk about that topic for the next 20 years.' Autumn 1989 ('Vergessen wir die
- (When asked about his name by President Bush) 'My name is Mr. Fischer. What's your name?' (October 22nd, 2005) 
- 'I recognize now how much I remained a Marxist.' (1997)
- 'The European Union is a value- and not a religion-community'
- 'Die Grunen durfen nicht nach jeder Niederlage den Kopf noch tiefer in den Sandhaufen der Lebenslugen stecken.'
- 'Humans without shadow are unpresentable.'
- 'Wer das Wunschbare mit dem Machbaren verwechselt, wird scheitern.' ('Who mixes up the wishable and the doable will fail')
- 'Wir durfen eine gute Sache nicht am falschen Schein ruinieren.' ('We must not ruin a good thing with a bad appearance')