robert herrick Quotes
Robert Herrick QuotesBirth Date: 1591-08-24 (Saturday, August 24th, 1591)
Discover how to find info about file extension apk with articles and other interesting information.
- Here a little child I stand Heaving up my either hand. Cold as paddocks though they be, Here I lift them up to Thee, For a benison to fall On our meat, and on us all.
- Fair pledges of a fruitful tree, Why do ye fall so fast? Your date is not so past But you may stay yet here awhile To blush and gently smile, And go at last.
- I sing of brooks, of blossoms, birds, and bowers: Of April, May, of June, and July flowers. I sing of Maypoles, Hock-carts, wassails, wakes, Of bridegrooms, brides, and of their bridal cakes.
- What is a kiss? Why this, as some approve: The sure, sweet cement, glue, and lime of love.
- Bid me to live, and I will live Thy Protestant to be, Or bid me love, and I will give A loving heart to thee.
- Bid me despair, and I'll despair, Under that cypress tree; Or bid me die, and I will dare E'en Death, to die for thee.
- Cherry ripe, ripe, ripe, I cry, Full and fair ones; come and buy! If so be you ask me where They do grow, I answer, there, Where my Julia's lips do smile; There's the land, or cherry-isle.
- It is the end that crowns us, not the fight.
- Some asked me where the rubies grew, And nothing I did say; But with my finger pointed to The lips of Julia.
- Some asked how pearls did grow, and where? Then spoke I to my girl To part her lips, and showed them there The quarelets of pearl.
- Fall on me like a silent dew, Or like those maiden showers Which, by the peep of day, do strew A baptism o'er the flowers.
- A sweet disorder in the dress Kindles in clothes a wantonness.
- A winning wave, deserving note, In the tempestuous petticoat, A careless shoestring, in whose tie I see a wild civility, Do more bewitch me than when art Is too precise in every part.
- You say to me-wards your affection's strong; Pray love me little, so you love me long.
- Night makes no difference 'twixt the Priest and Clerk; Joan as my Lady is as good i' the dark.
- Give me a kiss, and to that kiss a score; Then to that twenty, add a hundred more: A thousand to that hundred: so kiss on, To make that thousand up a million. Treble that million, and when that is done, Let's kiss afresh, as when we first begun.
- Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, Old Time is still a-flying, And this same flower that smiles today Tomorrow will be dying. The glorious Lamp of Heaven, the Sun, The higher he's a-getting The sooner will his race be run, And nearer he's to setting.
- Fair daffadills, we weep to see You haste away so soon: As yet the early rising sun Has not attained his noon.
- Thus woe succeeds a woe, as wave a wave.
- Her pretty feet, like snails, did creep A little out, and then, As if they played at bo-peep, Did soon draw in again.
- Her eyes the glow-worm lend thee, The shooting stars attend thee; And the elves also, Whose little eyes glow Like the sparks of fire, befriend thee.
- I saw a flie within a beade Of amber cleanly buried.
- Thus times do shift, each thing his turn does hold; New things succeed, as former things grow old.
- Made us nobly wild, not mad.
- Outdid the meat, outdid the frolic wine.
- Attempt the end, and never stand to doubt; Nothing's so hard but search will find it out.
- But ne'er the rose without the thorn.
- Get up, sweet Slug-a-bed, and see The dew bespangling herb and tree.
- 'Tis sin, Nay, profanation to keep in.
- So when or you or I are made A fable, song, or fleeting shade, All love, all liking, all delight Lies drowned with us in endless night.
- Whenas in silks my Julia goes, Then, then (methinks) how sweetly flows That liquefaction of her clothes. Next, when I cast mine eyes and see That brave vibration each way free; Oh how that glittering taketh me!
- Sweet, be not proud of those two eyes Which starlike sparkle in their skies; Nor be you proud that you can see All hearts your captives, yours yet free
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On August 24th||Who Also Died On |
Copyright © www.quotesby.net