- If you need anything, take it from the Americans!
- Every minute that we lose will cost us great losses later that we will not be able to afford.
- We must push forward now, otherwise we risk everything. Hurry yourself with the technical aspects, a lot of time has already been lost.
- Well, then it is necessary to make the attempt, since the entire offensive has no more than a 10 per cent chance of success. It must be done, since this offensive is the last remaining chance to conclude the war favourably.
- I simply cannot do it. The Russians have branded me a war criminal and the Americans would be sure to turn me over to them - for hanging.
- Has everything been done to justify our actions in the light of history? What can there be left for a commander in defeat? In antiquity they took poison.
- He who leads troops has no right to think about himself.
- We have lost a battle, but I assure to you that we will not lose the war! I cannot say more at the present moment although I know the losses are crowded in your minds. That this happened does not hold importance. What counts is not to lose confidence in the future of Germany. At the same time everyone must understand the gravity of the situation. This moment will be enough to distinguish the true men from the inept ones. Every soldier has the same responsibilities: if the advancing one falls, another must be ready to take his place in order to go on.
- Did you see that eye? I trust that man to do it, but I wouldn't want to serve under him.
- My best field marshal.