- I think we all really thrive on hostility, because it's the most intense kind of massage the ego can undergo.
- Many days later another caravan was passing and a man saw something on top of the highest dune there. And when they went up to see, they found Outka, Mimouna and Aicha; they were still there, lying the same way as when they had gone to sleep. And all three of the glasses... were full of sand. That was how they had their tea in the Sahara.
- Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustable well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that is so deeply part of your being that you, that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps 20. And yet it all seems limitless.
- For in order to avoid having to deal with relative values, he had long since come to deny all purpose to the phenomenon of existence - it was more expedient and comforting.
- So she said banteringly: 'What's the unit of exchange in this different world of yours?'
- Page 148 (paperback).
- A black star appears, a point of darkness in the night sky's clarity. Point of darkness and gateway to repose. Reach out, pierce the fine fabric of the sheltering sky, take repose.
- Africa was a big place and would offer its own suggestions
- For God's sake, sit down. You look like a Calvinist rector telling his flock about Hell.
- 'We're all monsters,' said Daisy with enthusiasm. 'It's the Age of Monsters.'
- Dr Slade went in to lunch in a state of desperate boredom tempered with resentment; it had shaken him a little to see how bad luck could be prolonged to such unlikely lengths.
- Every second, ten stars set behind the black water in the west.
- After his death, the literary and musical heirs of the estate of Paul and Jane Bowles established the official site, The Authorized Paul Bowles Web Site