- No friend to Love like a long voyage at sea.
- There's no sinner like a young saint.
- Patience is a flatterer, sir, and an ass, sir.
- Variety is the soul of pleasure.
- Come away; poverty's catching.
- Money speaks sense in a language all nations understand.
- One hour of right-down love is worth an age of dully living on.
- A brave world, sir, full of religion, knavery, and change: we shall shortly see better days.
- Faith, sir, we are here today, and gone tomorrow.
- Love ceases to be a pleasure when it ceases to be a secret.
- Oh what a dear ravishing thing is the beginning of an Amour!
- He that knew all that ever Learning writ, Knew only this - that he knew nothing yet.
- Nothing is more capable of troubling our reason, and consuming our health, than secret notions of jealousy in solitude.
- :that perfect Tranquillity of Life, which is no where to be found, but in retreat, a faithful Friend and a good Library:
- Each moment of the happy lover's hour is worth an age of dull and common life.