charles kingsley Quotes
Charles Kingsley QuotesBirth Date: 1819-06-12 (Saturday, June 12th, 1819)
Date of Death: 1875-01-23 (Saturday, January 23rd, 1875)
Discover how to find info about file extension apk with articles and other interesting information.
- So give me the political economist, the sanitary reformer, the engineer; and take your saints and virgins, relics and miracles. The spinning-jenny and the railroad, Cunard's liners and the electric telegraph, are to me, if not to you, signs that we are, on some points at least, in harmony with the universe; that there is a mighty spirit working among us, who cannot be your anarchic and destroying Devil, and therefore may be the Ordering and Creating God.
- O Mary, go and call the cattle home, And call the cattle home, And call the cattle home Across the sands of Dee; The western wind was wild and dank with foam, And all alone went she.
- They rowed her in across the rolling foam, The cruel crawling foam, The cruel hungry foam, To her grave beside the sea: But still the boatmen hear her call the cattle home Across the sands of Dee.
- For men must work, and women must weep, And there's little to earn, and many to keep, Though the harbor bar be moaning.
- And the sooner it's over, the sooner to sleep- And good-by to the bar and its moaning.
- Be good, sweet maid, and let who will be clever; Do noble things, not dream them, all day long: And so make life, death, and that vast for-ever One grand, sweet song.
- Science frees us in many ways...from the bodily terror which the savage feels. But she replaces that, in the minds of many, by a moral terror which is far more overwhelming.
- Tell us not that the world is governed by universal law; the news is not comfortable, but simply horrible, unless you can tell us, or allow others to tell us, that there is a loving giver, and a just administrator of that law.
- For to be discontented with the divine discontent, and to be ashamed with the noble shame, is the very germ and first upgrowth of all virtue.
- Clear and cool, clear and cool, By laughing shallow, and dreaming pool.
- When all the world is young, lad, And all the trees are green; And every goose a swan, lad, And every lass a queen; Then hey for boot and horse, lad, And round the world away; Young blood must have its course, lad, And every dog his day.
- When all the world is old, lad, And all the trees are brown; And all the sport is stale, lad, And all the wheels run down; Creep home, and take your place there, The spent and maimed among:- God grant you find one face there, You loved when all was young.
- And I am very ugly. I am the ugliest fairy in the world; and I shall be, till people behave themselves as they ought to do. And then I shall grow as handsome as my sister, who is the loveliest fairy in the world; and her name is Mrs. Doasyouwouldbedoneby. So she begins where I end, and I begin where she ends; and those who will not listen to her must listen to me, as you will see.
- The world goes up and the world goes down, And the sunshine follows the rain; And yesterday's sneer and yesterday's frown Can never come over again.
- Toil is the true knight's pastime.
- Oh that we two were Maying.
- Would that we two were lying Beneath the churchyard sod, With our limbs at rest in the green earth's breast, And our souls at home with God.
- Fools! who fancy Christ mistaken; Man a tool to buy and sell; Earth a failure, God-forsaken, Ante-room of Hell.
- Pain is no evil, Unless it conquer us.
- Sad, sad to think that the year is all but done.
- In the light of fuller day, Of purer science, holier laws.
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On June 12th||Who Also Died On January 23rd|
Copyright © www.quotesby.net