- I felt there's a wealth in Jewish tradition, a great inheritance. I'd be a jerk not to take advantage of it.
- The imaginative artist willy-nilly influences his time. If he understands his responsibility and acts on it-taking the art seriously always, himself never quite-he can make a contribution equal to, if different from, that of the scientist, the politician, and the jurist. The anarchic artist so much in vogue now-asserting with vehemence and violence that he writes only for himself, grubbing in the worst seams of life-can do damage. But he can also be so useful in breaking up obsolete molds, exposing shams, and crying out the truth, that the broadest freedom of art seems to me necessary to a country worth living in.
- I regard the writing of humor as a supreme artistic challenge.
- We are in the black theater of nonexistence. In an eye blink the curtain is up, the stage ablaze, for the vast drama of ourselves.
- This is an excellent martini-sort of tastes like it isn't there at all, just a cold cloud.
- There is a mystery about the Jews : and within this mystery lies the reason for the folk pride of the house of Abraham. This pride exists despite the disabilities that come from many centuries of ostracism.
- Deep in the heart of both critical Christian and alienated Jew, there is : a feeling, not even a feeling, a shadow of a notion, nothing more substantial than the pointless but compelling impulse to knock on wood when one talks of the health of children-something that says there is more to Jews than meets the eye.
- I learned about machinery, I learned how men behaved under pressure, and I learned about Americans.
- Illusion is an anodyne, bred by the gap between wish and reality.
- Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today.
- Some people think that all the equipment you need to discuss religion is a mouth.
- Write a page a day. It will add up.