john paul jones Quotes
John Paul Jones QuotesBirth Date: 1747-07-06 (Thursday, July 6th, 1747)
Date of Death: 1792-07-18 (Wednesday, July 18th, 1792)
Discover how to find info about file extension apk with articles and other interesting information.
john paul jones life timeline
|The United States Flag is formally recognized by a foreign naval vessel for the first time, when French Admiral Toussaint-Guillaume Picquet de la Motte rendered a nine gun salute to USS Ranger, commanded by John Paul Jones.||Saturday, February 14th, 1778|
- I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.
- I have not yet begun to fight!
- I may sink, but I'll be damned if I strike!
- Where men of fine feeling are concerned there is seldom misunderstanding.
- An honorable Peace is and always was my first wish! I can take no delight in the effusion of human Blood; but, if this War should continue, I wish to have the most active part in it.
- If fear is cultivated it will become stronger, if faith is cultivated it will achieve mastery.
- It seems to be a law of nature, inflexible and inexorable, that those who will not risk cannot win.
- Sign on, young man, and sail with me. The stature of our homeland is no more than the measure of ourselves. Our job is to keep her free. Our will is to keep the torch of freedom burning for all. To this solemn purpose we call on the young, the brave, the strong, and the free. Heed my call, Come to the sea. Come Sail with me.
- Whoever can surprise well must Conquer.
- The future naval officers, who live within these walls, will find in the career of the man whose life we this day celebrate, not merely a subject for admiration and respect, but an object lesson to be taken into their innermost hearts. . . . Every officer . . . should feel in each fiber of his being an eager desire to emulate the energy, the professional capacity, the indomitable determination and dauntless scorn of death which marked John Paul Jones above all his fellows.
- That flag and I are twins, born in the same hour from the same womb of destiny. We cannot be parted in life or in death.
- It is by no means enough that an officer of the Navy should be a capable mariner. He must be that, of course, but also a great deal more. He should be as well a gentleman of liberal education, refined manners, punctilious courtesy, and the nicest sense of personal honor. He should be the soul of tact, patience, justice, firmness, kindness, and charity. No meritorious act of a subordinate should escape his attention or be left to pass without its reward, even if the reward is only a word of approval. Conversely, he should not be blind to a single fault in any subordinate, though at the same time, he should be quick and unfailing to distinguish error from malice, thoughtlessness from incompetency, and well meant shortcomings from heedless or stupid blunder. In one word, every commander should keep constantly before him the great truth, that to be well obeyed, he must be perfectly esteemed.
john paul jones
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On July 6th||Who Also Died On July 18th|
Copyright © www.quotesby.net