- The woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved.
- Many a dangerous temptation comes to us in fine gay colours that are but skin-deep.
- Our creature comforts
- None is so deaf as those that will not hear.
- Blushing is the colour of virtue.
- Better late than never.
- Judas had given them the slip.
- Do nothing till thou hast well considered the end of it.
- Wise anger is like fire from a flint: there is great ado to get it out; and when it does come, it is out again immediately.
- I thank Thee first because I was never robbed before; second, because although they took my purse they did not take my life; third, because although they took my all, it was not much; and fourth because it was I who was robbed, and not I who robbed.
- Were a man to live as long as Methuselah, and to spend all his days in the highest delights sin can offer, one hour of the anguish and tribulation that must follow, would far outweigh them.