ellen goodman Quotes
Ellen Goodman QuotesBirth Date: 1941-04-11 (Friday, April 11th, 1941)
Discover how to find info about file extension apk with articles and other interesting information.
- I would like to say we're at a point where global warming is impossible to deny. Let's just say that global warming deniers are now on a par with Holocaust deniers, though one denies the past and the other denies the present and future.
- Americans once expected parents to raise their children in accordance with the dominant cultural messages. Today they are expected to raise their children in opposition to them. Once the chorus of cultural values was full of ministers, teachers, neighbors, leaders. They demanded more conformity, but offered more support. Now the messengers are violent cartoon characters, rappers and celebrities selling sneakers. Parents are considered 'responsible' only if they are successful in their resistance. That's what makes child-raising harder. It's not just that American families have less time with their kids; it's that we have to spend more of this time doing battle with our own culture.
- I began to realize that life is a growth stage I'm going through.
- I have never been especially impressed by the heroics of people convinced that they are about to change the world. I am more awed by those who struggle to make one small difference after another.
- I regard this novel as a work without redeeming social value, unless it can be recycled as a cardboard box.
- In journalism, there has always been a tension between getting it first and getting it right.
- In the biotech revolution, it is the human body, not iron or steel or plastic, that's at the source. Are the biocapitalists going to be allowed to dig without consent into our genetic codes, then market them?
- Most people do not consider dawn to be an attractive experience- unless they are still up.
- Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for, in order to get to a job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it.
- Once upon a time we were just plain people. But that was before we began having relationships with mechanical systems. Get involved with a machine and sooner or later you are reduced to a factor.
- The things we hate about ourselves aren't more real than things we like about ourselves.
- Things keep changing and things keep happening. I never really run out of ideas. I guess as long as I'm interested, I'll be interesting.
- Traditions are the guideposts driven deep in our subconscious minds. The most powerful ones are those we can't even describe and aren't even aware of.
- Values are not trendy items that are casually traded in.
- We are told that people stay in love because of chemistry, or because they remain intrigued with each other, because of many kindnesses, because of luck . . . But part of it has got to be forgiveness and gratefulness.
- We criticize mothers for closeness. We criticize fathers for distance. How many of us have expected less from our fathers and appreciated what they gave us more? How many of us always let them off the hook?
- We owned what we learned back there; the experience and the growth are grafted into our lives
- We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives . . ., not looking for flaws, but for potential.
- What do I want to take home from my summer vacation? Time. The wonderful luxury of being at rest. The days when you shut down the mental machinery that keeps life on track and let life simply wander. The days when you stop planning, analyzing, thinking and just are. Summer is my period of grace.
- When we describe what the other person is really like, I suppose we often picture what we want. We look through the prism of our need.
- You can fire your secretary, divorce your spouse, abandon your children. But they remain your co-authors forever.
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On April 11th||Who Also Died On |
Copyright © www.quotesby.net